1. I posted fic last night, and then forgot to pimp it here!Steal (the rhythm) while you canirisgirl12000
Brad/Nate (Generation Kill) || adult || ~2200
Based on the performances of actors associated with the HBO series, meaning nothing about real people.
Follows Out of sync at the beginning
. Porn without much plot, but the little dialogue that is present will make more sense if you've read the previous fic. Title from Soundgarden.Brad's snoring softly when Nate wakes up. He lies there a while, enjoying the way Brad's body heat keeps the breeze from the ceiling fan from creating a chill.
2. >:/ libraries in NJ
3. :D Books! Chalmers Johnson's new book should arrive on my doorstep tomorrow! It's a follow up to the trilogy about blowback and American empire. Along with it, I'm expecting The Fourth Star
. I suppose I should hop to, and finish reading Washington Rules
instead of messing about with Inception fanfic, right?
4. The thing that bothers me most about the uproar over Cordoba House is that the people who object most strenuously to a mosque at Ground Zero are the same people who will wave a copy of the Constitution and Bill of Rights in defense of the right to bear arms; somehow they forget that the First Amendment of that very same document guarantees
the right to religious freedom. Or, IDK, they stop being strict constructionists and say that the founders didn't mean it
the way we're interpreting it. (I sincerely doubt that, since James Madison was part of Jefferson's cohort, and as has been quoted pretty much everywhere lately, TJ's the one who wrote that "it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.") The First Amendment also guarantees that if a mosque is
built there, haters can protest it to their hearts' content. But still. Muslims have EVERY RIGHT to build a mosque there. Beyond that, I don't see why someone who is not a resident of the area thinks they should have any say in the matter. Who gives a shit what Sarah Palin thinks? Why is Newt Gingrich's opinion important? Do they live there? Are they family members of those who died? Did they suffer when the towers fell? How is their objection relevant in any way?
ETA: ♥ Jon Stewart & John Oliver on this topic. /ETA
5. Also on the political level: hmmm, Stan McChrystal
. I can't help but compare a possible political future for him to Petraeus, who vowed once again that he would not go into politics in his interview with David Gregory this weekend. (I was tickled by Gregory's use of Grant and Grant's quotes re: going into politics to broach the subject, esp. since Petraeus has spent a great deal of time reading/studying Grant.)
6. My mom forwarded the address of a cousin who is deployed in Iraq, with the suggestion that he might like to receive some mail. I honestly have NO IDEA what to write. This is a cousin I haven't seen in at least five years, and saw infrequently for the decade before that. I can babble about random stuff, I suppose, but is a guy who's been deployed for over a year really going to give a shit about daily life and family events in the 'burbs, especially for the cousin that he probably only vaguely remembers as being a babysitter and homework-aid when he was a kid?